This solution addresses Webroot SecureAnywhere
If you have an older version of Webroot software (
) currently installed on your computer, click here
for removal instructions.
If you would like to install on Mac
, click here
If you would like to install on an Android
or an Apple iOS
device, click here
Follow the instructions below to install Webroot SecureAnywhere on a Windows PC
Before you begin:
To install the program:
- Make sure your computer meets the system requirements.
- Read the license agreement at: http://detail.webrootanywhere.com/eula.asp.
- Make sure your computer is connected to the Internet. You can use one of the following browsers: Internet Explorer® 7.0 and higher, Mozilla Firefox® 3.6 and higher, or Google Chrome™ 10.0 or higher.
- Make sure you have the keycode. Your keycode is a string of 20 alphanumeric characters which comes in an email message or is listed inside the retail box. It is unique and holds information about your subscription. If you purchased a multi-user license, you can use the same keycode to install the software on up to three computers or five computers.
Note: The keycode is associated only with SecureAnywhere and does not include any information related to your computer or its configuration. Webroot does not use the keycode in any way to track individual use of its products.
If you do not have your keycode, click here to have it sent to you via email.
If you do not have your keycode and purchased from Best Buy, call Best Buy at 1-888-237-8289. Be sure to mention your subscription software through Best Buy.
- Uninstall older versions of Webroot security software. For instructions, click here.
- Start the installation routine either from a CD or from a downloaded file:
- If you are installing from a CD, insert the CD into the CD drive. An installation dialog opens where you can click a link to begin. If the installation dialog does not open, use Windows Explorer to navigate to your CD drive and double-click the software's installation file.
- If you don't have a CD, click here to download the installer file. After downloading the file, double-click it to begin the installation process.
If you purchased from Best Buy, click here to download the installer file. After downloading the file, double-click it to begin the installation process.
- When the Webroot installer dialog opens, enter your keycode in the field. (If your keycode came in an email, you can copy and paste the code into this field.)
- If desired, you can click Installation Options at the bottom of the dialog to modify the following settings:
When you're done, click Agree and Install.
- Create a shortcut to Webroot on the desktop. This option places a shortcut icon on your Windows Desktop for Webroot SecureAnywhere.
- Randomize the installed filename to bypass certain infections. This option changes the Webroot installation filename to a random name (for example, “QrXC251G.exe”), which prevents malware from detecting and blocking Webroot’s installation file.
- Protect the Webroot files, processes, and memory from modification. The option enables self protection and the CAPTCHA prompts (CAPTCHA requires you to read distorted text on the screen and enter the text in a field before performing any critical actions). For more information, see Setting access control.
- Change language. To change the language displayed in SecureAnywhere, click the Change Language button and select from the supported languages. (You can only change the displayed language during installation, not after.)
- If you are prompted to enter an email address, enter your email address and click Continue.
SecureAnywhere begins scanning and configuring the application. When it completes, the main interface opens (see Using the SecureAnywhere interface).
If SecureAnywhere detects threats during the scan, it moves the items to quarantine where they are rendered inoperable and can no longer harm your system or steal data. For more information, see Running scans and Managing quarantined items.
If your system is clean, SecureAnywhere displays a status screen similar to the following example.
- If you want to exit from SecureAnywhere, click Continue. If you want to view the main interface, select Click here to view your Dashboard now.
After the initial scan, SecureAnywhere automatically scans your computer daily and constantly monitors activity as you surf the Internet. You do not need to launch a scan yourself or schedule scans. SecureAnywhere does all the work for you in the background.
To verify that SecureAnywhere is running, look for the Webroot icon in your system tray.
If an important message requires your attention, the icon turns yellow or red. A dialog opens with further details.
- If you purchased a multi-user license, you can install SecureAnywhere on other PCs.
Note: If you want to uninstall the program later, go to the Windows Start menu, point to All Programs, then Webroot SecureAnywhere, then Tools, then Uninstall Webroot. At the prompt, click Yes to continue.